Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
The Topolgus Building, a two-story Italianate structure, is one of the oldest buildings in Bloomington if not the oldest. It is located two blocks north of the square at the corner of 8th Street and Walnut Street. It is on the state registry of historic buildings.
The location was originally platted as Out Lot 35, owned by Addison Smith, who sold the property and a house in 1827. There may have been a fire sometime in the mid-18th century, but the current structure was likely built in 1872, possibly by James and Mary Ann (Wiley) Dodds. James Dodds was the brother of Bloomington's second mayor.
It is currently owned by James Topolgus, and was owned by his father before him.