The Old Crescent comprises the historic buildings in the southwest corner of the Indiana University campus that compass Dunn's Woods. These buildings were among the first built on the new campus and constituted most of campus until the 1930s. Owen Hall and Wylie Hall were built in 1884 (ground was broken on both of these buildings on April 2nd); they were followed by Maxwell Hall, Kirkwood Hall, Lindley Hall, the Student Building, and Franklin Hall.
Bryan Hall, Swain Hall, and the School of Law building were built in a later phase of construction. All the buildings are limestone or brick, and their age, architecture, and wooded surroundings contribute to the scenic effect.