Alfred Grindle was a native of Manchester, England who came to the United States in 1888. He spent two years in Albany, New York working as a draftsman at the firm of Fuller & Wheeler. He relocated to Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1890 and worked for several years as a draftsman at the firm of Wing & Mahurin. He began an architectural practice in 1894. In 1904 he moved to Muncie, Indiana. Around 1910 he moved to Indianapolis and around 1918 he relocated to Brown County for reasons of poor health. While living in Brown county he maintained an office and an apartment in Bloomington.
Grindle worked in partnership with several different individuals during his career, but appears to have worked independently most of the time. All Bloomington projects associated with him appear to be directly attributable to him. They are:
- Trinity Episcopal Church, 1910, 111 S. Grant Street
- Bloomington Hospital, 1919, 640 S. Rogers Street (demolished)
- Stiehm Residence, 1921, 825 E. Eighth Street - still standing but relocated to 800 E. 8th Street
- Bowles Hotel Addition/Remodel, 1922, Sixth & College (no longer standing)
- Bloomington High School Addition, 1922, SW corner of Second and Walnut Streets (no longer standing)
- Ward Biddle Residence, ca. 1922, 601 S. Park Ave.
- Pi Beta Phi sorority house, 1922, 928 E. 3rd St (no longer standing)
- Grand Leader Building (façade), 1923, 120 North Walnut Street
- Wm. H. Adams Residence, 1923, 432 S. Walnut Street
- Shaw Residence and Studio (drawing) (photo), 1924, 201 E. Sixth Street
- Karsell Residence, 1925, 1401 E. Tenth Street (no longer standing)
- Elm Heights School, 1926, 909 E. Second Street
- Bloomington High School Coliseum, 1926, SE of intersection of W. Second Street & B-Line Trail (no longer standing)
- Marion Rogers Residence, 1926, 1130 E. Atwater Ave.
- Curry Building (photo), 1926, 214 W. Seventh Street
- Matthews Residence, 1927, 725 S. Highland Avenue
- Woodward Residence, 1928, 1327 E. First Street
- Fairview School Addition, 1928, NE corner of Fairview and Seventh Streets (no longer standing)
- McCalla School Addition, 1928, 500 block E. Ninth Street (photo)
- Hunter School, 1931, 727 W. Second Street
- University Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1932, 607 E. Seventh Street
Grindle was elected to membership in the American Institute of Architects in November of 1930.
- Alfred Grindle AIA Membership file
- Stiehm House - News of the Week , Indiana Construction Recorder Vol. II No. 51, page 7, 1921-03-26
- Stiehm House - American Contractor, Vol. XLII No. 17, page 70, 1921-03-23