The Chocolate Moose
The Chocolate Moose is an ice cream and sandwich stand in Bloomington serving homemade as well as soft serve ice cream and yogurt, in addition to other foods and novelties. It is located at 401 S. Walnut St..
The ice cream shop is the continuation of a business called May's Cafe, which was located in a wooden house where the May Building now stands. It was started in 1933 by Elmsley and Cletus May. Their son, Doran, moved the ice cream shop to the smaller building where it now stands, and renamed it the "Penguin". Although closing for a time, the May family reopened it in 1983 as the Chocolate Moose and it has operated continuously since then.
|Address:||401 S. Walnut St|
|Current Owner(s):||Jeff and Joani Grossnickle|
|Hours:|| Seasonally open
Mon-Sat: 11am to 11pm Sunday: 12pm to 10pm
|Website:||Official Moose Homepage|
The Chocolate Moose can be fairly well described as an important cultural landmark to many Bloomingtonians. Its location near the site of the former Bloomington High School has done much to create deep sentimental attachment among some former students of that school, and 'The Moose' remains popular with young and not so young Bloomingtonians and visitors today.
In 2009 the Mays sold the business to Jeff and Joani Grossnickle. Operation is seasonal rather than year-round, but they are looking to expand into some year around business. Contact them at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
They serve a variety of homemade flavors and sundaes, but also vegan / dairy-free frozen treats and non-dessert sandwiches. Large bags of ice are also available. Their full menu is online.