Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
The Seward Foundry began life as Austin Seward's blacksmith shop on 7th Street and Walnut Street. In the 1840's, the business became a full-fledged foundry and the company Seward and Sons produced artillery ammunition for the Union during the Civil War.
In 1938, the foundry operations were shut down, but with the advent of World War II, the company won a contract from Crane Naval Ammunition Depot. In 1956, machine operations were shut down, and the company shuttered its doors for the last time in 1983, after 162 years of operation.