Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
|Church Faith:||Salvation Army|
|Address:||111 N.Rogers Street|
|Services:||Sunday School, 9:45 a.m.|
Woship Service, 11:00 a.m.
The Salvation Army is a 501(c)3 non profit organization which serves Monroe County and communities in 118 countries worldwide. It is located on the western outskirts of downtown on the corner of Rogers Street and Kirkwood Avenue. It is a part of the Near West Side Neighborhood.
The Salvation Army campus is made up of four buildings that offer five ministries to the Monroe County community.
The Salvation Army provides assistance in five main areas to Monroe County residents:
- Religious Services
- Social Services
- Outside School Hours Care
- Thrift Store shopping
The first Salvationists arrived in Bloomington in 1907 and moved frequently. In July 1907, the address for The Salvation Army was 401 E. Main St. At that time Faris Market occupied that location, and the growing members of the Salvation Army met on the second floor of the building. In August of 1907 The Salvation Army moved to the back of the Graham Hotel. Again in October the Army moved to the second story of the Princess Theatre, but they only stayed there for one month. In November 1907 The Salvation Army moved to the second story of Bloomington Paint and Hardware. It was here they stayed for a relatively long period of time: 6 months. By May of 1908 the Salvation Army had moved into the old Methodist Church, which was called the Tom O'Daniel Corner 302 S. College Ave.. During the first year in Monroe County the Salvation Army moved five times, and yet continued to serve and grow.
The year 1909 offered The Salvation Army a stable location. In May of 1909, 500 South Morton Street became the home of The Salvation Army. Captains Mitchell were in charge of this period of growth until they were replaced in 1910.
In 1912, The Salvation Army moved yet again to 505 W. 11th Street, close to present day Bender Lumber. This was the first time that The Salvation Army moved out of Downtown and into the west side of Bloomington. At this time, the officers made the decision to move based on the migration of working-class families to that side of town. It was during this period that the land at the corner of 3rd Street and Walnut Street was purchased. However while the Citadel at that site was being constructed, the Salvation Army moved twice, further west to the locations at 1200 W. 6th Street. in 1913 and 1225 W. 6th 6th Street in March 1915.
The Salvation Army moved into the Citadel on the corner of Walnut and 3rd with much fanfare. The building was constructed out of Indiana limestone, the first Salvation Army to do so. The Salvation Army had built its first structure in Monroe County and remained in this central location for over twenty years waging war against the devil's work. Sadly, this building no longer stands.
In 1939, the Army built on the present day location at 111 N. Rogers Street. The officers wanted to get back to a neighborhood feel, and so a building was constructed out of limestone, complete with a chapel, officers quarters, an office and classroom/activity space. This building is still in use by the Salvation Army for much of the same purposes, however Corps officers no longer live on the premises.
In 1975 an addition was dedicated to God's glory by Divisional Commander Major Robert Thompson. This addition included a gymnasium, offices and a conference room. The present day Thrift Store was another addition that was made in 1994.