The child of Adam and Elizabeth Fulk, Richard Fulk lived most of his early years in Monroe County. As an adult, he worked as a carpenter and teamster before being elected justice of the peace in 1855, sheriff in 1870, and state senator representing Bartholomew, Brown, and Monroe Counties in 1890. His law partners included W. A. Foland, James B. Mulkey, and Edwin Corr.
In an old newspaper article available at the Monroe County Historical Society, Fulk states that he had been responsible for the building of the Monon Railroad depot between 4th Street and Kirkwood Avenue in 1868, perhaps the depot in this picture.
On January 23, 1855, Fulk married the former Mary Helton.