Mt. Gilead Christian Church
|Church Faith:||Disciples of Christ|
|Address:||1200 Russell Road|
|Services:||Sunday 10:00 a.m.|
One of the oldest churches in Monroe County, Mt. Gilead Christian Church dated its origins back to 1849. The church had three consecutive buildings on its original location at the intersection of Mt. Gilead Road and SR 45; the second was dedicated in 1879 by an Elder Treat, and the third built in 1923, and still stands.
In 2004 the church incurred some debt in order to build a new church building across from University Elementary, but the debt load proved to be too great and the congregation disbanded in 2009. <ref>Denny, Dann (January 22, 2009). "Mt. Gilead church closing doors Sunday after 160 years". The Herald Times. Retrieved on January 23, 2009.</ref> The new church building was taken over by City Church. The old building passed into private hands. The cemetery surrounding that building continues to be maintained.