Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
Hays Market was a Downtown mainstay for many years at the corners of 6th Street and Morton Street. The former Boltinghouse Market was purchased by James D. Hays in 1948 and operated from then until 1996. At its opening it was one of the most modern groceries in Indiana, with a new meat refrigeration system, frosted food equipment, and white metal display cases.
The market was best known for its meat department and friendly atmosphere. But in the early 90's its main supplier, Wetterau, closed. At that point the store began to limit the variety of groceries it carried, and finally shut down in 1996.