Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
First Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church was founded in Bloomington on March 18, 1843. Its second location was at the northwest corner of 4th and Washington. Two different churches were located on the site. A small brick structure occupied the site when it was purchased from the First Presbyterian Church. In 1874 that structure was demolished and another brick church was built. This church is pictured in a photo book entitled 'Bloomington, Indiana' by Stratford and Jones. In 1901 this structure was demolished and a new limestone church was designed by the Fort Wayne firm of Mahurin & Mahurin. The new church was dedicated in July of 1902. The congregation moved to a new church at 2420 E. 3rd Street in 1957. The limestone church at 4th and Washington was demolished by the City of Bloomington to create parking for downtown businesses soon thereafter.