The Carnegie Library is currently the home of the Monroe County History Center. Built with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation and designed by architect Wilson B. Parker, the library opened its doors in 1918 and served the public until 1970, when the Monroe County Public Library opened its new facility at the northeast corner of Kirkwood and Lincoln. The building stood empty for a few years and was scheduled to be demolished, but the Monroe County Historical Society raised funds to buy it in 1977.
An addition was built at the the southeast corner in 1955.
The building is located on the corner of Washington Street and 6th Street. The address is 202 West 6th Street.