I went to IUB in 89-90 and 91-95. In 90-91, I went to school at IUSB and visited every chance I could.
My first book took place in Bloomington in the summer of 92, and I think everyone nostalgic for the old times should check it out. http://rumored.com/summer-rain.
I also made a glossary of my life up to the end of college, and I guess a lot of it replicates what's here. It's at http://rumored.com/glossary.
- A list of all commencement speakers, 1892-present: http://www.libraries.iub.edu/index.php?pageId=3295
- The official list of all buildings on campus: http://www.indiana.edu/~bureau/buildwww.pdf
- Pictures galore: http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/archivesphotos/index.jsp
- Old newspapers (free): https://newspapers.library.in.gov/?a=cl&cl=CL1&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------
Mostly a note to self, but some stuff I need to go through:
- (Mostly triaged) https://www.reddit.com/r/bloomington/comments/adk293/do_you_remember_these_restaurants/
- Wiles Drugs - 112 N Walnut - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/archivesphotos/results/item.do?itemId=P0020660&searchId=0&searchResultIndex=2
- Bowles Drugs - southwest corner of College and Kirkwood: http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/archivesphotos/results/item.do?itemId=P0049031&searchId=0&searchResultIndex=1 and http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/archivesphotos/results/item.do?itemId=P0020006&searchId=0&searchResultIndex=6 (I think Chase Bank is here now)
- Godsey Market - corner of 17th and College: http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/archivesphotos/results/item.do?itemId=P0028909&searchId=3&searchResultIndex=15
- Aristotle book store - 1424 E 3rd St. Founded 1967? https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/aristotlescornerinc-bloomington-in-31111412.html Was owned by: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/bloomington-in/nicholas-balaguras-6071370. Bought by TIS?
- GD Ritzy's -> Rax -> Miami Subs -> Five Guys
- Captain D's -> La Torre -> Crumbl Cookies
- Wagon Wheel
- Mama Grisanti's
- Poor Richard's
- Sugar and Spice (in IMU)
- Johnny Rockets
- Phoenix Dumpling - 3rd and Lincoln, 307 E Third. Is it the Lucky Express now?
- Taco John's
- Doubles - Hamburger place on Walnut, maybe around 14th? Went under before 1994
- A&W - one in the mall, but also freestanding
- Red Lobster
- Long John Silver's
- Mr. Steak
- Cork & Cleaver (which turned into Banditos, then Pier One, now Morgenstern's)
- Pagliai's (in Breaking Away)
- Sully's Oaken Bucket
- Jerimah Sweeney
- BW-3 (Dunnkirk square)
- Po Folks
- Frisch's Big Boy
- White Castle
- Nutcracker Sweet (Dunnkirk square)
- Middle Earth (Dunnkirk square)
- Zeus' Gyros
- Wimples on Walnut
- The Gold Rush
- The Wok
- Leung Cheung
- Hour House (I think this is what later became the Jared Subway)
- Choo Choo
- Rapp's Pizza Train
- Vienna Dog House
- New York Bagel - used to be on the south side of Kirkwood, roughly where Urban Outfitters is now?
- Pancho's Villa - see https://www.facebook.com/groups/161088040645661/
This is a collection of books I own about IU, that I've been using to research stuff.
- Indiana University: A Pictorial History - Dorothy C. Collins and Cecil K. Byrd, Indiana University Press, 1992 [Excellent photos, okay history, info on branch campuses, too.]
- Indiana University: Midwester Pioneer - Volume I/The Early Years - Thomas D. Clark, Indiana University Press, 1970 [Excellent, excellent history, but only up to about 1900. Hard to find.]
- Images of America: Bloomington and Indiana University - Bloomington Restorations, Inc., Arcadia Publishing, 2002. [Slim, light on history, good photos.]