Henry Eller (1817-1889) was one of the earliest settlers of Bloomington. Born in Virginia to John and Susan Eller, the family moved to Monroe County in 1831, where they purchased over 500 acres of land about five miles west of Bloomington. Eller engaged in stock breeding for almost 50 years and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1835 Eller married a woman surnamed Bailey, and they had three children: Elizabeth J. Stimpson, John Thomas and George Henry. Later he married the former Elizabeth W. Shreve, and they had eight children: James W.; Harriet A. Ammerman; Melinda M. Kirby; Susan V. Mayfield; Frances M. Johnston; Mary L. Ward; J. B. M. and Charles D.
Eller was a Civil War veteran, enlisted in Company K, 133rd Indiana Infantry, but his health gave out upon his return from duty. He was twice elected to the Monroe County Commissioners and was many times township assessor.
He died after a two-week illness, and was buried in the family cemetery on his farm.