Come hangout with other Bloomingpedia enthusiasts on Saturday October 16th, 2021 at 8pm Eastern. Register here.

Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.

Chicago & Bloomington Stone Company

From Bloomingpedia

The Chicago & Bloomington Stone Company quarry opened in October of 1892. The company owned 36 acres of stone land in the Hunter Valley, and five houses nearby occupied by stone workers.

The quarry produced both buff and blue stone of good quality. There were three steam channeling machines, three steam derricks and two steam drills. The Monon Railroad had a track to the quarry.

The company opened the Johnson Quarry in 1903 and built a mill in 1904. By 1927, after consolidation in the quarrying industry, the mill was known as the Johnson Mill of the Bloomington Limestone Company. Located near the junction of Fairfax Road and Dillman Road, the mill had disappeared by the 1940's.

<googlemap version="0.9" lat="39.091991" lon="-86.520851" zoom="17" width="300" height="200"> </googlemap>