Bloomington High School
A high school has been in operation in Bloomington since 1863. In that year, classes were held in an old tannery building on South College Avenue. Later a new, two-story structure was built at 6th Street and Washington Street.
In 1875 the high school moved into the third story of the Central School and in 1899 an abandoned Indiana University building at Seminary Square.
In 1914 a new high school building at the same location was dedicated with a 600-student capacity and a new gymnasium. It was a three-story brick building, designed by Mahurin & Mahurin. A photo of the old school be seen at the website of the Monroe County History Center.
In 1930 a contract for a new football field behind the building was given to local contractors Buskirk and Dodds.
Although it was a large building at the time, just nine years later an addition was necessary, and in 1927 the Bloomington High School Coliseum was added.
In 1965 the school moved to a new building farther south. The old building became Central Junior High School for two years before the building was destroyed in an arsonist's fire.
In the 1970's, two county high schools outside the city were closed, and Bloomington High School South was created with the mascot, building, and colors of the old school. At the same time, Bloomington High School North was created.
- 1897 - The first football game is played.
- 1903 - A YMCA and YWCA are organized. They are later renamed to the Hi-Y Club and the Blue Triangle.
- 1904 - Track state championship.
- 1909 - First issue of the Gothic is published.
- 1919 - Basketball state championship.
- 1924 - Four troops of Girl Scouts are organized
- 1925 - Wrestling state championship