4th of July Fireworks
The official 4th of July Fireworks are usually held on the north side of the Memorial Stadium every year. It is visible for miles around and people park their cars all around the stadium and along State Road 46. Many people even sit in the walkway bridge over Highway 46. The event is sponsored by AMVETS and is one of the best fireworks displays in the state of Indiana.
- 2009 - Despite it raining all day, the normal Amvets display still went on in a light rain. Many of the fireworks went above low lying clouds.
- 2007 - Because they had a poor turnout last year due to daylight savings time changes, American Veterans Post 2000 is holding the fireworks on the 3rd of July. The fireworks started around 10:15pm.
- 2006 - Due to the recent daylight savings time change in Indiana, the fireworks launch moved to 10pm instead of the previous 9pm time.
- 2004 - Most of the fireworks are rained out when a sudden downpour came about in the middle of the show. Pyrotechnicians attempted to launch as much of the remaining fireworks as possible, but most of the crowd scattered for cover as Bloomington was deluged in 2 inches of rain in an hour. The resulting display of fireworks was quite spectacular due to it happening all in about a 30 second display.
In general, the fireworks can be seen from most of northern Bloomington, though there are some popular locations:
- Memorial Stadium grass lawns and parking lots - the fireworks will be almost directly overhead, but plan on a long wait to get out
- Miller-Showers Park - people set lawn chairs up along Walnut and College
- Business School Parking Garage.
- Lawn just south of 17th Street across from the stadium.
- 2007 Fireworks (youtube.com)
- 2007 Fireworks finale Part 1 (youtube.com)
- 2007 Fireworks finale Part 2 (youtube.com)
- 2007 Fireworks finale (another angle) (youtube.com)