Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
John R. Figg
John R. Figg (b. 1900, d. 1974) was involved in the food distribution industry in Bloomington.
Figg started as a farmer in the 1920's near Freedom. He became a partner at the Hawthorn Grocery at 214 W. Kirkwood Avenue in 1931. Three years later the grocery, now Hawthorn and Figg, moved to 222 W. Kirkwood. In 1938 the business, now Figg's Wholesale, moved to 311 W. 7th Street, and in 1961 to the large new plant on Curry Pike. At the time, Westinghouse was the only other nearby business.
Figg is a charter member of the Monroe County Hall of Fame on which his plaque reads "Wholesale food distributor, 1928-1966, General manager Wetterau Foods, Inc., 1963-1966; Philanthropist, Donor of John R. Figg Intensive Coronary Care Unit, Bloomington Hospital; Church Leader."
He and his wife Ione Figg had one daughter, Judy Figg Davis.